Shenyang is a celebrated historic city with more than 2,000 years of history which can be traced back to the Warring States Period (476 BC - 221 BC). In 1625, the Manchu leader Nurhaci moved his capital to Shenyang, or Simiyan Hoton as it is called in Manchu. It is the birthplace of the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911) and has many cultural relics which symbolize the prosperity and subsequent decline of China's last feudal dynasty. The most famous historical site is the Shenyang Imperial Palace, which is of great historic and artistic significance, second only to the Forbidden City in Beijing.
Shenyang has a population of 7.2 million and its urban population is 4 million. By urban population, it is the largest city in northeastern China and is among the top ten largest cities in China. Shenyang has 38 of China's 56 recognized ethnic groups, including the Han Chinese majority that make up 91.26% of Shenyang's population.
Shenyang is an important industrial center in China. It has focused on heavy industries, particularly aerospace, machine tools, heavy equipment, and defense, and recently, on software, automotive, and electronics.
Many major industrial companies have their headquarters in Shenyang. Brilliance China Auto is a major Chinese automobile manufacturer, and most of its production plants are also located in Shenyang. Shenyang Aircraft Corporation produces airplanes for civilian use as well as for the PLAAF. Neusoft Group is the biggest software company in China. Shenyang Machine Tool Group is the largest machine tool manufacturer in China.
Shenyang is home of many performance arts organizations, such as Shenyang Acrobatic Troupe of China, Liaoning Song and Dance Ensemble, and Liaoning Ballet. Liaoning Provincial Museum, the largest museum in northeastern China, also locates in Shenyang.
Shenyang has many schools, both public and private. There are also a number of privately-operated training centers that provide additional English skills.
- China Medical University
- Shenyang Pharmaceutical University
- Northeastern University
- Shenyang Agricultural University
- Shenyang Institute of Aeronautical Engineering
- Shenyang Jianzhu (Architectural) University
- Shenyang Institute of Chemical Technology
- Shenyang Normal University
- Liaoning University
- Shenyang Ligong University
- Shenyang University
- Shenyang University of Technology
- Shenyang Imperial Palace: the former imperial palace of the early Qing Dynasty. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Dongling: the tomb of the first Qing emperor, Nurhaci. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Beiling Park and Zhaoling: the tomb of the second Qing emperor, Huang Taiji. The park covers an area of 3,300,000 sq. meters. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- World Horticulture Exposition garden: hosted the International Horticultural Exposition in 2006.
- Shenyang Olympic Sports Centre Stadium: nicknamed "Crystal Crown", hosted football matches at the 2008 Summer Olympics.
- Strange Slope: an "anti-gravity" slope more than eighty meters (about 87.5 yards) long. Cars and bikes must accelerate to go down the hill but easily roll upward toward the top. Walkers experience a similar reversal in energy required to walk up and down.
- Ancient Meteorite: is the world's largest ancient meteorite which is 160 meters long, 54 meters wide, 42 meters high and weighing about 2,000,000 tons. It was formed 45 million years ago and 19 million years before the fall.
There are several shopping areas in Shenyang. One of the districts, Taiyuan Street, features western-style shopping and dining, including supermarkets, western restaurants, consumer electronics stores, and a number of large, multi-story department stores selling products from around the world. There is also a very large underground shopping complex offering lots of items, especially in fashion jewelry, accessories and cloths.
Another area, Wu'ai Market, features a large multi-story shopping center with a size comparable to that of many city blocks. It contains hundreds, if not thousands, of mini or boutique stores that open very early in the morning and close in the early afternoon. It is famous for wholesaling cheap clothes and household stuff.
There is also another area located in the center of the city, Middle Street, which is similar to Taiyuan Street. It features one of the largest department stores in Shenyang.
The information technology center is Sanhao Street, located in the southern part of the city.
There are also a number of large superstores located throughout the city that sell everything from meat and dairy to clothes and electronics.
Shenyang is famous for its soccer tradition. The local soccer team is the Liaoning F.C., in the Chinese Super League. Another Chinese Super League team, Shenyang Jinde moved to Changsha in 2007. Shenyang Olympic Sports Centre Stadium hosted football matches at the 2008 Summer Olympics.
Famous traditional dishes and snacks in Shenyang will definitely make your mouth water. And there are plenty of pubs, KTVs (karaoke bars), cafes, and tea houses available to meet your food and entertainment needs. The life in Shenyang can be both entertaining and relaxing.